Monuments

                     ru                             bip      fb

1

St Nicholas Church

Originally a Gothic, three-nave church built in 1477. After a fire in 1752 it was rebuilt in Baroque style. On the building and inside there are memorial plaques in honour of distinguished priests. Next to the church there is a bell tower dating from 1746, and a chapel and gate in the church fence.

St Joseph Church

It was built in years 1782-1784 for the Uniates. Inside there are three Rococo paintings from the late 18th century. The temple survived the great fire (1845). The church was connected with the persecution of the Uniates (1867-1874). In 1875 it was taken by the Russian government and used as an Orthodox church and was rebuilt in 1899. During World War I it served as a detention centre, and later as a shelter for the homeless.

Saints Peter and Paul Church

Founded in 1774 by Prince A. Czartoryski for the Uniates. The historic bell tower dates back to this period as well. In 1875 it was taken away from the Uniates by the Russian government and turned into an Orthodox church. Twice, in 1916 and 1940, it was desecrated by the Germans who turned in into warehouses. In 1944 the church was hit by the Russian artillery. It was rebuilt after the war.

Catholic cemetery

Founded in 1807. There are tombstones of distinguished people, and the St Roch Chapel from 1838.

Jewish cemetery

Founded in 1810. There are fragments of preserved gravestones and mass graves.

 

 

Former horse postal service facility

It was established in 1823. In the past it played host to monarchs and many famous travellers.

 

2

Presbytery – the former parish school

Built in the early 19th century, the front is adorned with a grand oak. Eminent scholars lived in it: Piramowicz, Kukiel and Pleszczyński. The building was designed by the famous architect, F. M. Lanci, in 1852.

Railway station

It dates back to 1867. An important point of defence in 1918.

Town Market - now the John Paul II square

It has retained its dimensions from the 15th century, including characteristic passages with arches. There is a war memorial to the fallen in 1918.

 

3

Palace and park complex

Founded in the 18th century. There is a small neo-Gothic tower from 1840, the buildings of former stables and coach house, fragments of the palace and the St Florian chapel from 1777.

 

4

Municipal Hospital

From the years 1846 - 1850, attacked by the insurgents in 1863. Rebuilt in the 20th century; today it still performs its functions. On the south wall there is a sundial.

 Shrines

On the streets: Partyzantów, Brzeska, Warszawska and Łosicka. They originate from the 18th and 19th centuries. They testify to the religious culture and customs of the town’s inhabitants.